Click on picture to view full size.
Worcester South Quay 1920′s
when it was tidy and exciting. Max
Worcester Bridge in 1916.
The old butts spur line ran to the bridge along the North Quay passing through a flood arch on to South Quay alongside the corn mill for several hundred yards.
Worcester Bridge in 1886 when flood waters reached top of centre arch after flooding in Wales. After surviving a terrible storm on the return journey in the Bristol Channel, Captain “Panto” Bourne was hauled by steam tug up the Severn to find the water reaching the top of Worcester Bridge arches.
The crew were bringing home French gilded furniture and coulored glass ornaments to be sold in Droitwich and Birmingham antique shops owned by Pantos’ aunt. Max
The earliest known photograph of the river at Worcester.
St. Nicholas Street 1916.
Broad Street 1916.
Broad Street in 1916 looking towards the Cross, Angel Street is on the left. With Hardy and Padmore lamp standards and tram wire posts.
The Cross and High Street is in centre of picture, the Hopmarket is on the right. Tram and power lines lines lead eastwards along Lowesmoor. Immediately left is Queen Street and the Trinity.
Worcester High Street in 1916.
The Guildhall is on the left.
Lich Street 1916.
Lich Street was an ancient street linking High Street with Sidbury. It was demolished during redevelopment during the ninteen sixties.
Worcester Cross 1916.