Purchased for the people of Worcester in 1899 by Worcester Corporation. Pitchcroft is a 100-acre recreation area pleasantly situated on the Severn’s east bank.
Worcester’s largest public park is just under one mile long and a third of a mile wide. A perimeter footpath covers 1.8 miles.
There are four well-utilised football pitches, in the central area.
Many public activities are held here including sponsored walking, firework displays, a circus and fair and even a popular beer festival.
The Swan Theatre is close to Pitchcroft, and accessed from Severn Terrace. The Swan opened on 22nd June 1965 is Worcester’s only Theatre.
Worcester rowing club (formed in 1876) and Worcester canoe club both have boathouses adjacent to Pitchcroft
Pitchcroft has also been used as a racecourse for many years, possibly centuries and Worcester Races are still held here several times annually.
The racecourse is maintained to a high standard, by a team of dedicated employees, a group of workers can be seen walking the course after each meeting busily repairing surface damage. The birch jumps and fences also need maintenance.
An operator driving a special tractor with a front mounted mower regularly trims the course grass to a precise length.
A sprinkler irrigation system waters the entire racecourse during dry spells.
Pitchcroft is open daily, to free public access, except on race days when entry points are monitored, and admittance fee is payable.
This letter was published in todays Worcester News.
The correct name for Pitchcroft is The Pitchcroft Public Recreation Ground as it is open Common Land. The closure of footpaths on race days is unlawful as Worcester Citizens can freely walk along them, escorted by a police officer or staff. All racing is supposed to cease on April 1st to allow a valuable hay crop to be grown for the Citizens benefit.All income from Pitchcroft belongs to the Parish Council. It is time Worcester Citizens took back their heritage, and stopped the commercialisation. Max Sinclair